Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

History Corner

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maestro, May 22, 2017.

1. Maestro

Maestro Sexy And Deadly Joker
    S-Admin Tournament Management Clan Member

Here go historical discussions, documental shows, historical documents, audio, video, literature about historical facts as well. Enjoy yourselves. We have our very own history expert @Storm to help ya out :D. But we have many bright minds here as well so engage bros/sisters!

First video could be this one about this historical book about WW1. Very interesting review, yet honestly I didn't read the book, nor most likely won't, but the review does summize some of its points nicely. This guy I watch a lot who does these reviews! Amazing very charismatic and smart guy!

@Storm note the video title above is Storm of steel whahahaah!​

2. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

3. Maestro

4. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

Humans are super cool, 24 hours later '' Hitler was right! ''

Maestro likes this.
  5. Maestro

WHAHAHAHAH MAN

6. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

Well the first vid is not about ww1, but indeed war of religion 1600's in europe ( between catholic and protestant factions )..

This war is incredible bloodthirsty war, and shaped europe for generations to come...

7. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

Yes the first book.. the one above was not real book after all...more like music video in historical context. I have habit of choosing one historical event or even era and studying it thoroughly from more than one perspective, until the hidden hand is revealed. It is time consuming, but very dear hobby of mine. Under the loop is this time period called '' the thirty years war 1608 - 1648 ''.

Its not well known these days to modern audience, since it is overshadowed By later world wars. Even if the world wars claimed more human life than the 'thirty years war', this thirty years war was more destructive in relation to population size.

This war also did change many ways western way of thinking, as from it did born modern idea of secular state. It did start as internal affair inside the Holy Roman Empire ( between protestant princes and catholic emperor inside this realm) , but as it did progress, it did draw most of European powers to get involved ( either catholic or protestant depending ). In the end western europe was didived to two huge camps; southern catholic and northern protestant.

This subject is huge of course, and the best way to tackle such a matter is to start with the main points and characters and then to spiral out in ever widening circles to learn more about details and motives . So as usual I started with small presentations and after when I established suffient overall knowledge of the affair, I did move into more detailed accounts.

I did find ''the thirty years war'' in par with ''the war of the roses'' in complexity. As 'the war of the roses'' it is also huge drama of characters, and therefore not only dry historical recollection. And as in 'the war of the roses' the ups and downs of personal and national fortunes involved is just staggering. One can hardly imagĂ­ne how many times one faction is about to collapse and then rises up again on top By some freak twist in fortune. Most of the main players/rulers also end up dead during this conflict.

I am going to limit my study of this affair to 20 hours total, and after initial learning from smaller presentations as stated above, I i did end it with heavy artillery;
    Friedrich Schiller, The Thirty Years' War 1608-1648 (1792)

Now this work ( By german author ) is also available in english translation which helped a lot, since I dont speak or understand german. I did start with modern presentations and did finish with this older but more detailed work ( the newer works are mostly just based on this older study ) but perhaps with maps and with characher portraits that helped me with initial confusion of multitude of character and small kingdoms/principalities..over 200 of them in fact.

In modern parallel, George Martins 'song of ice and fire'' also known as 'game of thrones '' tv series is largely based to this conflict and in ''war of the roses'' @Aria @Maestro

#7 Storm, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  8. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

Ahh but before I leave it out again, the audiobook for ''the thirty years war''... it is divided in three parts ( each of some 3 hours of audio recording from english translations ) I believe this would equal some 400 printed pages of text if in written form. Now for this work I did listen all the more modern studies, since the more modern ones did offer maps and character portraits which helped me greatly to memorize the situation in map and also to navigate the horde of characters ( often with same names e.g Frederic or George of this or that minor principality ).

Of course this kind of work, published in 1792 is difficult to read or to listen By modern audience ( with the short attention span of modern listener ), but after initial 1 hour it came easier and easier and after that came across addictive for me. Again for any student of history I would advice to begin with more simplified works, to lay out the groundwork for the more detailed study.