Culture Corner

WARNING
  • Author
    punisher
    Keymaster

Our clan is build upon members from different countries and different cultures.
    I’m interesting in everybody’s cultures. Show the differences between those cultures and share or ask your interests about cultures.

Points i’d like to know from the cultures our members live in:

• General information about your country. – Language, people, society, economy.
    • Religion – What is the most occurring religion in your country etc…
    • Culinary and dining decencies. – Popular food dishes, meal times, table manners, etc…
    • social decencies. – greetings, scheduling, manners, conversations, languages, money, traffic / driving, gifting, hospitality, etc…
    • sports – Most popular sports in your country, sports your country is famous of etc…
    • Arts & Entertainment – Paintings, Museum, music, cabaret, festival, etc…

You can elaborate it as much as you want.

punisher
    Keymaster

I will be starting with the dutch, and other dutch people an adjust it or fill extra stuff to it.

The Netherlands
    General information
    Our official language is “dutch”, and is spoken by the majority of our population. The dutch language is similar to the German and borrows terms and/or words from the French and English language. Our language has 3 dialect branches. “Hollands” which is mainly spoken by the northern provinces such as Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland, Utrecht, Overijssel, Groningen & Drente.It has a rolling R and G which makes the dutch language sound more aggressive towards the non-dutch speakers. Than we have “Brabants” which is mainly spoken by the southern provinces such as Brabant, Gelderlan, Limburg and Zeeland. It sounds kind and more hospital, similar to the “Vlaams” from Belgium. And last there is Friesian, a dialect mainly spoken in the province of Friesland.
    We have a independent, modern and multi-cultural society, where we are for equality for the people when it comes to subjects such as culture, race, sex etc…

We have an advanced free market economy, which is specialized in agriculture, trade, technology and the service industry.

Religion
    We are a very secular country. Where only 32.3% claims to be religious. We have 2 main religions: Roman Catholic and Protestant. The souther part is mainly Roman Catholic and the Northern part Protestant. This can also be seen in the churches build on those parts of the country. As the dutch is a multi-cultural country we also have a growing Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism.

Culinary
    The Netherlands is a multi-cultural country, which means that there are a lot of diffirent people from diffirent races and cultures in this country. Most dutch households prepare food from diffirent cultures, just like most western countries does. However the majority of the dutch kitchen is ruled by traditional dutch meals, indonesian, surinam and italian meals. Besides that Chinese restaurants and take-aways are very popular among the dutch. Most dutch eat practically anything, which a growing demand on eating insects as it’s health according to research.

Our breakfast mainly consists of a slice of bread with toppings on top of it. Thing such as Cheese, meat, peanut butter, Choclate spread, syrup, and variaties of chocolate sparkes.
    Also becoming very popular is eating yoghurt for breakfast.

Most people eat the same thing for lunch as they did for breakfast. A slice of bread with a topping on top together with some fruit.

Typical dutch people start their dish with soup as an appetizer, potatoes with vegetables and meat as main, and something sweet for dessert.
    Modern dutch people eat diffirent meals such as rice, poptatoes, noodles, spaggethi, pizza, vegetables, meat, soups etc…

The dutch are known for their cheese and salted herring, but they have other delicious foods such as: hagelslag, stroopwafels, licorice and poffertjes (small and thick pancakes).

Dining decensies
    Breakfast is usually served between 6:00 – 8:00.
    Lunch is usually served between 12:00 – 13:00.
    Dinner is usually served between 17:00 – 19:00.
    Brunch (Tea Time) takes place around 10:00 11:00 and 15:00 – 16:00. Usually drinking tea, coffee or other baverage with friends, neighbours or family with biscuits, cookies or others sweets.

The dutch generally don’t care about leaving the table for a good reason, as long as it isn’t to watch television, or be texting on your phone as that is considered rude. Bathroom visits, getting drinks or leaving for an important phonecall is usually respected.
    Most people ask their visitor for a second portion of food when they are out of their first. Feel free to kindly deny the request if you are full, as it will be respected after they’ve asked it a couple of times to make sure you are fine.

Social Decencies
    Our decencies are similar to the rest of the western world. However some aspects differ and are considered rude or disrespectful for other countries.
    We shake our hands when greeting, or give 3 kisses on the cheek (usually with the opposite gender).
    We like to schedule, and no this is not a joke. We like to schedule things way in advance and we usually go strictly by those schedules. Most people don’t like you to just go by somebody without notifying them beforehand, but you’ll usually get a cup of coffee or tea and a biscuit anyhow if it doesn’t occur to often. Giving a call to ask if it’s ok to come by will usually be good enough.
    We are a very direct and pretty straightforward at times, most just speak their minds. Usually honest and straight to the point, no detour. This also means that we aren’t offended very easily. We can take feedback and criticism.
    Everybody wants to be wealthy, it also includes the dutch most we usually don’t really like it when people show it off. You easily be targeted as arrogant.
    Most dutch people speak dutch and English. People near the German border also speak German and most children are being taught both English and German together with the dutch language. We easily adjust to the persons preference as long as it’s dutch, English or German depending on what the person can speak and understand.

Dutch drivers are fairly impatient and rude drivers. Gestures, honks and cursing are common in many areas when u aren’t going fast enough. You’ll also need to shift your lane to the right when driving on the highway. The left side is for the faster drivers or for going past a vehicle. Sticking to the left will be rewarded with mad drivers and can even result in a ticket if sticking to long to the left lane.

When you are bringing a visit or when you are invited to a birthday it’s a common thing to bring a gift for the host. For usual visits the most common things are flowers and chocolate.

Sport
    Sports are very important for the dutch people. The most popular sports are Football, Cycling, speed skating and hockey. However there are plenty of other sports which are really popular and are being practiced by a lot of dutch people

Arts
    We are famous for some of our artists, paintings and museums. Most of the popular arts are coming from the 17th century also known as the Golden Age. There are big art festivals every year here usually sponsored by the government to remain our original culture history.
    Most of our buildings are similarly build using brick walls unpainted. Since the last few years solar panels are a growing thing on the roofs of a lot of buildings.

Music
    Traditional dutch music is happy music, usually for party moods, but also songs regarding loneliness and sadness. The dutch are famous and the lead producers of electronic music, counting dance, trance, house, hard style, hardcore, and a lot of other electronic music. Currently rising is the dutch hip-hop industry. Jazz, soul and metal are also very common among dutch singers and/or bands.

Cabaret
    The dutch cabaret is more about provoking and mocking people on social and political themes. The dutch are also famous for their sexual cabaret regarding relations, love and intercourse.

Events
    in most towns there are monthly and/or weekly markets where you can buy things, such as food, carpets, clothing and other stuff. During the spring and summer season there are a lot of music festivals whom Pinkpop is the most famous one.
    Than there is a Holiday called Sinterklaas, which is a children’s holiday where a priest like man comes by both from Spain to the Netherlands together with his helpers called Zwarte Piet (Black Pete), and bring around candy and presents to the good children and punish the bad children by putting them in their bag and bringing them back to Spain. (so goes the story). Currently there is a lot of controversy around Zwarte Piet, as some people find them offensive and think it’s a clear sign of racism because it’s a white man in charge and the rest is stereotypically black, with big red lips and big earrings. Multiple different stories go around about their inheritance and what they actually were.

Add or correct mistakes I’ve made for the dutch people.
    Describe your own culture, and feel free to use mine as a template.

ChainSaw
    Participant

Only one thing you should have know:
    My neighbours speak Frysk and dutch and Frysk is also a language ;)
    You can turn Frysk on Facebook and translate it with Google translater.
    Alot of real Frysk people won’t talk Dutch to you in their region.

punisher
    Keymaster
    ChainSaw, post: 28048, member: 348 wrote:
    Only one thing you should have know:
    My neighbours speak Frysk and dutch and Frysk is also a language ;)
    You can turn Frysk on Facebook and translate it with Google translater.
    Alot of real Frysk people won’t talk Dutch to you in their region.
    What i meant with frysian, will adjust and add the ignorance of frysk speaking people. :P
    Storm
    Participant

What an amazing thread, I hope you all will share something of your homelands!

Hmm I dont want to bore you with statistics so lets get straight to the good stuff shall we?!??!

I want to introduce some traditional finnish foods, like mämmi.

[MEDIA=youtube]_5eeQsXV3xs[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=youtube]4S-8gF9GFJo[/MEDIA]

:D

Hey they have same weapons that we have in server!

[MEDIA=youtube]Tqboc8gXmjc[/MEDIA]

pssst: I heard that Fred is visiting this same range ! :D

Its a real wonder to get know how they eat in other cultures..

[MEDIA=youtube]tU4v4VQ0ahU[/MEDIA]

punisher
    Keymaster
    Storm, post: 28051, member: 69 wrote:
    What an amazing thread, I hope you all will share something of your homelands!

Hmm I dont want to bore you with statistics so lets get straight to the good stuff shall we?!??!

I want to introduce some traditional finnish foods, like mämmi.

[MEDIA=youtube]_5eeQsXV3xs[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=youtube]4S-8gF9GFJo[/MEDIA]

:D
    Id better embrace myself when im in Finland then. :D

Possible to share some of the finnish culture, as id like to know something about it besides the vodka and mammi. :P

Itzcoatl
    Participant

Belgium

General information

It’s a small country (30 500km²) but we have 3 official languages:

– French: spoken in the south;

– Dutch: in the north;

– German: in the east, near Germany. This land was received after the 1st world war.

Our capital is Brussels, also known as “capital of UE” (because most of the European institutions are located in Brussels)

Religion

Belgium is a secular country. The main religions are Roman Catholicism and Islam (+/- 10%).

Culinary

Belgium is known for its waffles (specially Brussels waffles and Liege waffles), speculoos (biscuit), cuberdon (candy), chocolate, beers (more than 700 different beers!), BELGIAN fries (no, it’s not French!)…

We eat almost everything. Our Belgian cuisine is varied: “waterzooi” (stew and soup), “Flemish stew” (stew made with beer), “Mussels – fries”, “Chicons au gratin” (gratin of Belgian endives in béchamel sauce wrapped in ham), blood sausage (sausage made of blood and bread!), American fillet (mixed raw beef with sauce and served with fries or in a sandwich), “stoemp” (potato mashed with vegetables), …

For breakfast, we eat some slices of bread with a sweet topping like chocolate or jam or also cereals.

For lunch, we eat sandwiches or a dish.

For dinner, people who ate sandwiches for lunch eat a dish and people who ate a dish, eat sandwiches.

Dining decensies

Breakfast: 7:00 – 9:00.
    Lunch: 12:00 – 13:00.
    Dinner: 18:00 – 20:00.
    Tea Time: 16:00.

Social Decencies

There are some differences with The Netherlands. We give 1 kiss on the cheek with friends and family. Otherwise, we also shake hands.
    For the rest, it’s the same as the Netherlands

Sport

The most popular sports are Football, Cycling, Formula 1, tennis, athletics and hockey.

Arts & events

Belgium is famous for:

– Painters: R. Magritte, P. Delvaux, …

– Writers: A. Nothomb, …

– Drawers : Hergé (Tintin), Franquin (Spirou), Peyo (The Smurfs), Morris (Lucky Luke), Philippe Geluck (Le Chat), William Vance (XIII), Francq (Largo Winch), …

– Singers: Stromae, Jacques Brel, Selah Sue, Loïc Nottet, …

Belgium has a lot of inventions as roller skates, cricket, parking sensors (for cars), electric doorbell, the big bang theory, plastic, development of the world wide web (with an American), dynamo, saxophone, tar (for roads), atlas, …

We have a lot of festivals like Dour, Pukkelpop, Rock Werchter or Tomorrowland. Belgium is also known for its DJ’s like Netsky, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Lost Frequencies, Kid Noize, …

You don’t need to understand the video.. just watch it :p
    [MEDIA=facebook]1335205729834742[/MEDIA]

BlastorZ
    Participant

Well a bit about Portugal from my perspective. Not visiting wikipedia, that would be cheating :)

General:
    We are a enneagram self-preservation 4 country (if you are in to that system). That alone will explain a lot, really. Like Ireland we are the most anxious and stressed out country in Europe (germany being the less). Since a early age i knew we were a country of poets. We are made to suck it up, we complain, but we still suck it up. We frequently say we a are a country of gentle/mild customs. But quite recently we had the experience that made us think a bit differently about life, the bloody, cold and stressful austerity. I wasn’t here, but 2011-2013 were the hardest years. One of the darkest times. I supposed all of europe suffered by it, but here it was specially terrible. Because of it, the Low Cost type of businesses grew a lot, heck, it started from zero and it just blossomed greatly. There are pros and cons about it. A big con, is that a lot of old companies and small businesses couldn’t compete with the prices and had to close down. Nowadays, with the likes of Ikea, big international sport shops, shopping malls, big franchises, the small businesses get even more pressure and eventually close. The big getting bigger, the small getting smaller, but i think this is happening in the entire world. From 2015-2016 things are definitely getting more optimistic and we are starting to recover. The dark time is passing. As a side note, i read an article about the economists in the EU, the kind that decide stuff, confessing they didnd’t expect the social problems that arose from the austerity measures. Of course they didn’t, they seat in a office all day just dealing with numbers. They don’t get out, they don’t talk to people, they don’t observe what’s it’s going on out of the office. Typical problem of economists and people in power.

Anyway, not everything is bad :) the big pro about that, is that here you can get stuff very cheap and with very good quality. Come here experiencing our tourism which is booming a lot (People geting fed up with terrorism in central europe + cheap flights?). You will stay in a cool hotel much cheaper than the rest of europe, buy stuff much cheaper and of course eat the best cuisine, the mediterranean diet. The best meat and fish. Google it, vitela assada, bacalhau, francesinha, etc. Just make sure you find a good restaurant and not one of the kind that just buys everything frozen and warm it up, like in the shopping malls. Nowadays, tourism is growing really a lot in Lisbon, Porto and other small cities, whereas before, tourism was mostly in Algarve and Lisbon. If you have good money, Portugal is a great place to live.

Portuguese like to show off their cars, you can be a guy having a salary a bit just above the minimal, but you need to have a cool car, mercedes, audi, BMW are the brands. Even british people notice how many good cars are here. BMW actually broke sales records during austerity. Didn’t i tell you we were aristocrats in exile?

The most published daily journal is about tragedy and sensationalism.

Language:
    We talk only Portuguese here, but despite the smallness of our country we have a lot of accents. We portuguese from the continent can’t even understand some people from Açores and older people from Madeira. Those are 2 arquipelagos (group of islands). But usually we understand all quite well. We like to invent words, which can be difficult (if not impossible), for an outsider to understand the meaning of.

The people from the south (around Lisbon) are more “politically correct”, yet more deceitful, in north we are more brute, however more true and authentic. I’m from the north.

Religion:
    Mostly catholic with a bit of evangelican churches here and there. In my perspective, the habit of going to church is disappearing. With mostly old people going. But evangelican is surely grewing.

Culinary:
    Like i said, we have on of the best cuisines in the world. If you aren’t carefull, you will get fat :)
    In addiction to what i referenced above, we have various kinds of sausages, cheese, meat, soups, pastry, etc. Oh we also have great bread, but the stupid goverment is cutting on the salt to avoid high blood pressure. They should find a way to make people exercise more instead… Make the likes of Macdonalds pay more taxes and benefict the healthy food shops.

Times:
    Breakfast 7:30 – 10.00 Bread and butter with coffe with milk.
    Lunch: 12:00 – 14:00 Various dishes.
    Dinner: 19:30 – 21:00, on weekends dinners can go to 24:00 and even frequently 1:00.

Shopping malls close at 23:00 , on big citties, 24:00. Cheap dinner and cinema is good. We like to go out.

Social:
    Handshake for guys, 2 kisses in the cheek for opposite sex or girls. On some groups, like gym people, young guys, everyone does the cool handshake with the thumb pointing more up and for yourself. For a hot girl, guys just throw the American Pie “suck me beautiful” line (na, just kidding).
    Generally speaking we are warm and easy going, the opposite of some scandinavian countries. Sorry people from there, but you know it’s true. Here, despite the anxiety, there is a more relaxing way of living. The opposite of switerzland, where everyone only thinks about working and making money. The portuguese emmigrants often complain that only here they can have fun.
    Stuff can be done in the moment, unlike sweden where i heard, people plan dinners with individual friends 2 months earlier! Here, you just plan it in the moment or soon. Stuff can be planned in the long term, but that’s usually big groups or pontual cases.

Conversations:
    Football

Sports:
    Football

Arts and entertainment:
    Football and beer.

Oh, we aren’t much in to typical arts. There is some, but work is first, cultural stuff goes secondary. There are a lot of bars to go to. Discos are disappearing, people want cheap beer and avoid retarded door men. There is still some tough. Gotta dress fancy for facebook and instagram. Of course we have music, but it’s always the same playing in the bars.

We are a country of great history, but lately i think people don’t care much. We are losing our roots, like many countries are. Globalization is taking over, work is from 9-17, commute a bit, gym, dinner and then facebook/ TV soap opera time!

There is a lot more to say, but it’s late and i’m tired :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.