Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Problems visiting our website? send a mail to tech@houseofpainserver.com

Need some help /w letters

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by punisher, Sep 28, 2015.

1. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

Hi guys,

I need to write like a formal letter to a company, but we want to have like a good impression by having good english writing and grammar stuff.
    Possible to check the letter and correct grammar / spelling mistakes or if we like say something in a ruth way.

2. ScarZ

ScarZ Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator S-Admin Steam Member Clan Member System Operator

It looks good, I just fixed a few things that stuck out to me. I crossed out some things and replaced some words.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Our names are Martijn and Noah, and we are 2 students from the Netherlands.
    In advance, we would like to apologize for any English grammatical errors that may follow.

For our examination project, we have to build a data monitor for the raspberry pi, which receives and reads the data from the solar panels from for the company Enecsys.
    Unfortunately, Enecsys got went bankrupt and their servers has have been taken down.

We would like to replicate their data monitor with a raspberry pi, and change the Enecsys' gateway IP has been changed from the old Enecsys IP address to our IP address, so we receive the data which used to send the data be received by the Enecsys IP address.
    Our problem is that we don’t know how to receive the data and where the data is stored.
    We have been looking through the internet for a while and came across pvoutput.org as well as some tutorials about making the solar panels connecting to your data monitors.
    Now, we were hoping to get some help with our project and give us get some hints to point us into in the right direction.

We would like to thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,
    Martijn & Noah

3. Good one Scarz. Just one point though - if a letter starts with 'Dear Sir/Madam' it should end 'Yours Faithfully'.

If you'd addressed the person by name, for example 'Dear Mr Smith' then 'Yours Sincerely' is the one to end with.

(Maybe in USA / Europe this rule doesn't apply - I used to work in the English Civil Service writing lots of letters and they hammered it into me lol).

4. Lady

Lady Clan Leader
    Staff Member Administrator S-Admin Tournament Management Steam Member Clan Leader Clan Member

You are correct Tempest.

5. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

hhhh, english teachers are hammering me to write Yours Sincerely or Yours Faithfully when writing a formal letter, and Kind regards when writing to friends or so.

6. NecroWolf

NecroWolf Member
    Server Regular VIP

I've never heard that and recently took college English. (Or maybe I was asleep that day?) Good to know though.