Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Problems visiting our website? send a mail to tech@houseofpainserver.com

Map Rotation SOF2 server

Discussion in 'Soldier of Fortune 2 : Gold Edition' started by vithos, Oct 19, 2019.

1. vit

vithos New Member

Nevermind. Constructive criticism not welcome here.

#1 vithos, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

So you have been away for 10 years? Listen up then. Biggest group playing the game are egys ( from Egypt) now days. They dont know how to play custom maps and with inf maps they get bored and leave. We did experiment with wide variety of gametypes and custom maps in the past, but that didint work out in terms of traffic. So the current MC is a compromise to bring in different kind of players. You surely can understand this.

You have been around like 2 days and already you are whining about things. How about being grateful that there is still running quality server? Now enjoy your games.

3. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

Yeah I called you whiner because you didint make constructive reasoning why the before mentioned maps were bad on your first post, instead your reasoning was ' i dont wanna play them'. That sounds selfish and whiny.

This would be constructive reason; Kam2 is bad because the lower tunnel is closed and it is bad for traffic. (it is not bad for traffic thou)

Also our mapcycle has proven itself, we are rank 4 and 5 in gametracker. If we would implement the mapcycle you want, we would surely lose ranks.

All that said, your opinion matters also as player on server. Enjoy your day.

4. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

And now you deleted or changed all your previous posts, great. Anyhow good to see you still playing at server despite your earlier claim you wont come back.

5. punisher

punisher Hacker
    Administrator S-Admin Clan Leader Clan Member

Im not even gonna read all of the deleted posts.
    Ill comment on your post, which you deleted.

Throughout the years that we play thengame, the sof2 scene has changed, from custom maps to basically only the standard maps.

In the past we have tried custom maps, a mod with more possibilities en http download support (much faster download speed then default)

A bunch of different maps and gametypes, but whenever it was tried our traffic dropped a lot.

We then tried to take a step back and only allow a few custom maps played a lot, however still thebsame result, whenever a custom.maps came on the server runs empty.

Since a couple lf years we run standard only, changing our mapcycle a lot, and eventually coming with this mapcycle which brings solid traffic without many conplaints. Of course everybody has maps they dislike, but they bring are requests from our visitors and bring traffic.

Maps such as hk1 and air1 usually loses traffic, however if multiple people request the map, we will consider adding them. afaik mp_shop inf is already on the mc, and custom maps are disclosed from our Main server.

For next time, request nicely and if you are tiving "constructive criticism", back it up with arguments to why it's bad/good.
    Else you come over to us and whiny or cocky, while you probably dont have those intentions.
    Especially if you say in your post, that you've only played for 3 days on our server.

You may not like kam2, but a lot of others do.
    Same goes for pretty much any map on our mapcycle. Also counting the part where maps such as kam2, dont last more then a specific time, meaning we reduce the time when we notice people dont like it.

Tldr:
    Our mapcycle is based of requests from our regular visitors, and is thoroughly tested and adjusted accordingly.
    Next time ask nicely and with proper arguments, else you come over as ehiny and cocky, especially when you've only played here for 3 days.
    When multiple people request a particular mapcycle change, then we'll consider changes.

6. vit

vithos New Member

For me it's not about custom maps; just the ones that were popular 'back in the day' for me personally yeah, but they were the most popular for a reason. I made this post before even knowing the server is real damage so my efforts are wasted anyways ;D if you are the mr. server man, then how do I go about creating my own? I'm interested in a normal damage, OSP mod server basically.

As far as I know shop1 inf isn't on the mc, air1 can be a spawntrap fest but as stands most jor1/shop2 games have been, which mostly comes down to only 1sec of spawn protection as opposed to say 5 seconds, which was what i used to play on clanbase.

#6 vithos, Oct 19, 2019
  7. punisher

punisher Hacker

Times arent as it used to be back in the days.
    There still are a few servers around with nd and/or infiltration but they usually have punkuster (which isnt supported anymore, so might be a little struggle for your first connection). Might like checking out RavenZ server (osp inf, not sure if rd or nd tho) or cky server (using xs mod).

In the background we are currently in the works to move some things and due to requests from multiple people I've spoken with, I'm planning to setup a ND server (1fx and not OSP due to vulnerabilities within OSP).

Which will have the more old school style mapcycle, with more voting options then our main server (As I'm expecting a more specific audience).

8. punisher

punisher Hacker

mp_shop inf - Unless somebody removed it from the mc, it should still be around (we have multiple minicycles running, so big chance that you just haven't had the luck yet), however sides gets changed every round so you always get to play attack and defend.

Air1 was most liked when played dm, due to the spawtrap, but we usually ended up with a fairly empty server after the map.

We have invincibility for 3 to 5 seconds, to avoid spawn camps as much as possible (ofcourse gone once you start shooting), so people dont dont actually tend to spawncamp much on our server, and when they do try usually get retaliated for trying by a spawner.

9. vit

vithos New Member

--Removed as caught you on discord.

I would also like to apologise to Storm for not putting myself across as good as I could have.

#9 vithos, Oct 19, 2019
    Storm likes this.
  10. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

I appreciate the gesture. I guess you and me got off with wrong footing. Its all good now. Cya in server.

11. Kristibrud

Kristibrud Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

Man Vithos, 3 days and 15 years older. Still causing instant drama. I love it!

I agree that the mapcycle needs some loving. I don't mind the deathmatches, as they are short. 5 min or so. Many cross-eyed players enjoy having spasms togheter with their friends.

Kam2 is nostalgic to play, but with RD you can spray down the whole team and start spawncamping, which kills the game. One good player can close the map in a good run. This map should only be played by Vote Calling imo.

I like having Kam3, It's a fun map. Especially Road. I always thought the third path (stairways) made the map sucky sucky though. Is there a way to close them and make it smaller?

I hate Jor1, but i realize It's what people want to play. Every 3d map in the cycle should be jor1. Shop2 also needs to be repeated more often.

Shop1 is useless without flame nades and fall dmg. A lot of players dont get infiltration, they are not aware of the briefcase. Sucks to be waiting for next round!

Hk2 has been tried a couple of times now and it seems to be working. It's a big map where you get some aim practice. Please put it on a cycle. If only 5 minutes.

12. vit

vithos New Member

I agree with everything but hk2 can't be 5 minutes, you'd make it to the oppo flag once in that time haha, huge map!

+normal damage
    +few diff map rotations, incl. INF shop1 and maybe INF hk1 or another popular inf map
    ++++get rid of kam2!!!11
    +longer spawn prot
    +fall dmg (seriously everyone gets into high positions knowing if they get hit they wont die to falling, changes how ppl play, also makes shop1 defence caseroom on inf impossible from roof rushers)
    +flame nades
    +osp (man can dream)

and i'm happy as larry.

ps. drama follows me. :D

#12 vithos, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  13. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

I dont mind if we make some changes to MC. the proper place to make suggestions; http://houseofpainserver.com/threads/community-mapcycle-for-main-server.1795/page-23

Flame nades are problematic with so many players, since it causes lag and you can spamm spawnpoints and such. It has been tried to have them in the past, and didint work nicely. Only chaos and mess. I wouldnt mind thou having one or two maps with them enabled for some chaotic games :D

Taking off fall damage is also problematic, since hop server has profile to be newbie friendly place. Servers with pro settings tend to be as quiet as graveyards. Big part of the traffic is new or low skill level players.

Kam2 is good balanced map IMO, but the problem is that the lower tunnel is closed.

hk2 is fun for aim practise, I dont mind if it is added to MC.

14. Kristibrud

Kristibrud Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

What if we disable shotgun on it?

15. Storm

Storm Clan Member
    S-Admin Clan Member

I just kill you with my teeth :)

16. Maestro

Maestro Sexy And Deadly Joker
    S-Admin Tournament Management Clan Member Forum Moderator